Sunday, July 11, 2010

What smells?

You ever drive in your car and decide it is finally a nice day out so you roll your windows down. Then it hits you not a car or suicidal bird but a smell? The smell of fresh cut grass and all of a sudden you are not driving down a busy street during rush hour but in a field of fresh cut hay and staring at the clouds completely at peace. Smells, good smells, bad smells can take you back in time or to a favorite holiday.




I recently went to a Scentsy party which I love now. As I looked at the hundred or so containers with strange names and grouped in categories. I kept thinking these are not just perfumes mixed in wax. But memories or dreams of people captured to bring you peacefulness or energy and even romance. I watched people pick up the containers smell and say they love it or hate it. Every time I picked one up and smelled it I felt like I was traveling to an exotic island or to my grandmothers kitchen and they evoked a feeling in me.



Every time I smell fresh cut grass I remember driving in Wisconsin and they were cutting the hay down. Huge rolls of hay bound by string and miles of green waves waiting to be cut. I feel peaceful and a sense of hope. Or cinnamon and nutmeg bring me back to cooking for Christmas or Thanksgiving. The excitement of family and friends,Christmas tree's and presents. And even though I grew up in Florida and it was never cold I still could imagine sitting around a fireplace with apple cider in your hands warming them up feeling content and full of life.



I know that an island isn't going to smell like coconuts and pineapples. In my head every time I smell them I am sitting on a beach watching the waves come in and go out as I relax in the sun. And every bakery smells like yeast and the dough rising. With hints of cinnamon and sugar bring you comfort like your grandmother hugging you.



I wish for the day that we can pull up on our computers a smell guide. Just like with music you hear from the past and you remember being a little girl with poofy bangs dancing to "Walk like an Eygptian". We could pull up a scent and remember walking through a rose garden on your very first mothers day. But for now I will enjoy waxes and candles that will take me on adventure or help me relax from a long day. Next time you smell something good remember how it feels and where it takes you!

2 comments:

  1. Scratch and sniff on a computer?? That could get rather interesting. Just think of what the sex sites could do!! LOL Sorry girl i couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have wrote this post myself. :) Great writing girlie!!

    ReplyDelete